🕒 120m 👤 4
If you want to eat a real torrijas at home you have to make the torrijas de Santa Teresa, a traditional recipe that is prepared at Holy Week and during Easter. It is believed that the origin of this sweet comes from ancient Rome and it seems that it was made to take advantage of the remains of stale bread.
The ingredients that are needed are very basic and the base is always bread. Easyrecipe.top teaches you how to make it.
- 1 loaf of bread
- 1 liter of milk
- 125 gr. of sugar
- one lemon
- 2 branches of cinnamon
- 5 eggs
- ¼ tablespoon of salt
- Sunflower oil
- 1 small bowl of cinnamon
- 1 small bowl of white sugar
Preparation of the torrijas de Santa Teresa
- To prepare the original torrijas de Santa Teresa, we first heat the milk in a saucepan. Meanwhile, grate the lemon peel, but only the yellow part. Be careful not to grate the white skin as it will spoil the French toast.
- When the milk starts to boil, add the two cinnamon sticks (if you don’t have the cinnamon powder), along with the white sugar and the grated lemon peel. Cook over medium heat for about five minutes or so and then remove from the heat, cover and let it warm for an hour and a half so that the milk takes on the flavor of the ingredients.
- After this time, strain the milk into a large bowl to remove the cinnamon and the zest of the lemon. In another large bowl, beat the five eggs with a pinch of salt.
- Cut the loaf of bread into slices and do not use the peaks of the bread. Remember that the slices do not have to be very thick, at most 3 cm. Put a pan on the fire, with plenty of sunflower oil and heat it over high heat.
- When the oil is hot, turn the heat down to half. Dip the bread in the milk, then pass it through the egg and put it in the pan to fry for a few minutes on each side. Repeat the process until all the slices have been made.
- As you take them out, it is best to place them on a tray that has absorbent paper so that they release the excess sunflower oil they have. Let them sit for a couple of minutes.
- Mix the sugar with the cinnamon and sprinkle it on top of your Santa Teresa torrijas. Now you just have to wait for them to warm up and the dish is ready to eat. Take advantage!
Did you like this recipe?
Other alternatives that you will love
Cooking recipe video of Recipe of torrijas of santa teresa
Follow here the step by step video guide of how to cook Recipe of torrijas of santa teresa. Watch this video recipe and enjoy cooking at home this delicious recipes.
The BEST French Toast Recipe!! With Brioche Bread, Whipped Cream & Maple Syrup!!
Enjoy leaning how to cook more recipes like Recipe of torrijas of santa teresa here
Learn how to cook every dish you wish and be the perfect host for your guest not only cooking Recipe of torrijas of santa teresa. Give use to your kitchen, kitchen tools and kitchen robot with all professional chef recipes and easy amateur recipes we give you for free in this cooking blog. Follow us in Facebook and be a master chef doesn’t matter if you cook your easy recipes at home in a gas or electric cooker, oven barbecue or oven. learn how to cook easy and fast recipes likeFrench toast recipe santa teresa